posted on 19 october, 2016
The second eagerly anticipated EWL launch event took place on Friday 7th October, as event professionals joined Steamline Data Director, Esben Ehrenskjold for our lunch and round-table discussion on event technology innovation.
#Eventprofs from MCL Creates, ACCA, AR Experiential, Crowne Plaza and De Vere Venues, University College Birmingham and Jewellery Quarter Business District attended the event held at The Birmingham Rep, who pulled out all the stops with their New Romantics theme and delicious menu, from which the Roast Pork Tenderloin with Bubble & Squeak cake was a big hit!
For our technology lunch we adopted the meetoo app for our polling and questioning with the following interesting results;
Do you manage you event schedule in an excel spreadsheet?
Top Answer (78%) – No
2nd (22%) – Yes
3rd (0%) – What’s an excel spreadsheet? (phew!)
Did you at your last event share speaker content with your participants post-event?
Top Answer (50%) – Yes
2nd (33%) – No
3rd (17%) – Sometimes
What is your most important social media channel?
Joint Top Answer (36% each) – LinkedIn and Twitter
2nd (28%) – Facebook
3rd (0%) – Don’t use social media (another phew!)
The attendees were also asked to share an event tech solution they wished existed or that they had great experience using, and the following responses came in;
- An online platform that you could use throughout all stages of the event planning process
- Full integration and sharing of registration data between organisers and exhibitors
- Something that would make the audio visual experience as simple as possible for guests
- Easy monitoring of how many people have attended open outdoor events and who they are
- Love the interaction that apps give events but would love to see the features grow to enhance floor plans in 3D for navigation
- The best experience I have used was at an annual showcase, involving a questionnaire before the event and the answers everyone gave became part of the event!
Key take-aways from the discussion included:
- Only implement event tech if either (a) it adds value (b) it improves efficiency and improves or doesn’t inhibit processes
- The importance of social media, are apps really that relevant anymore?
A fantastic launch event and inaugural EWL Midlands lunch, with a huge thanks to Esben of Streamline Data and the team at The Rep for expertly hosting us and with such dramatic effect.
We hope to see you at our next event on Friday 2nd December, as we discuss the State of The Industry.
See you next time!