Here’s Number 2 of EWL’s 7 secrets of effective networking – set your objectives!
WORK OUT WHAT YOU WOULD LIKE
Start with your end in mind. If you’re not absolutely clear about this you will be unable to respond when people offer you help.
Neither will you know which particular type of networking organisation best suits your needs.
Typical questions you need to ask yourself are:
– What are your new business targets?
– What skills do you need to improve?
– What problems do you need help with?
– What resources do you need?
SET YOURSELF TARGETS FOR THE THINGS THAT YOU CAN CONTROL
Typically these might include:
– The amount of time you can devote to networking
– Number of 1-2-1’s you can arrange
– The number of events you can attend
– How much time you can spend online
– Building a contacts database
– What introductions you can give
– Choose a cost effective networking organisation
Find something you can do to add value to your growing network that demonstrates your value and expertise.